Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Take on Spicy Chicken Corn Chowder

One rainy night last week, I was in the mood for homemade soup. What is it about the rain that makes a person want soup? I never crave it otherwise. 
Anyhow, I decided to make some good ol' chowda. 
I say this as if I've ever made chowder. 
It was my first try, but I'll tell you right now it won't be my last.

 What makes you think that I'm a messy cook? 

 Do you remember that commercial for beggin' strips? Every time I make bacon, that commercial plays over and over in my head....and sometimes out loud.

This is when it gets scary- after you add in the flour. It looks like you've royally screwed up. But you haven't! When you add the liquid, it becomes chowder! Just don't let this mixture burn, then you've royally screwed up. 
 See, I told you.


 Enjoy!
Recipe
4 Slices of Bacon
2 Boneless Chicken Breasts
2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 Yellow Onion
About 10 Sliced Jalapenos, Finely Chopped
1 clove garlic, or a couple tsps of minced garlic
1/4 cup Flour
3 cups Chicken Broth
1 large Potato
1 can Sweet Corn
1 cup Whipping Cream
1 cup (or more if your name is Kelli) Cheddar Cheese
1 tsp salt and pepper
Chives and Parsley to taste

1. In a large pot, cook bacon until crisp. Set aside and keep drippings in pan.
2. Add chicken to the pan and cook on medium-high heat until done. Add red pepper flakes and onion. Cook until onion is tender. Add jalapenos and garlic. Cook about 3 minutes. Stir in flour, cook for one minute. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cook, uncovered for about 10 minutes. Stir in bacon, corn, cheese, and cream. Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occassionally.
3. Top with parsley and chives


*this recipe was derived from a recipe in Better Homes and Gardens magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...